A Teenager's Point of View: Trends


   As a teenager, sometimes it can be really hard to stay true to your own style. It can feel like all the pressure to "be cool" and fit in is crushing and leaves you struggling to breathe. Almost all teens want to do is fit in but stand out at the same time.

   I think the first step would be to look the part. If you pay any attention to the people around you or the media, you'll notice fashion trends. If you were to go to my high school right now, you'd see a lot of band t-shirts, skinny jeans, and beanies. Although I do look fantastic in a beanie (if I do say so myself) unlike other people, I take it off. There are some trends I like and others, well not so much, but the truth of the matter is, you don't have to wear what everyone else is to be cool. Dr. Seuss asked a mind-boggling question, "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"


   We're all a unique person and to be honest, " cool" is over rated. Everyone has there own opinions on whether or not they like something. I'm not saying trends are bad, some are pretty awesome, but its okay to stick to your own style, its okay not to like something because its your honest opinion. Besides, where do you think these trends come from? Some unique mind that didn't care what was "in" at the time. Maybe they did it on purpose, maybe not. Who knows maybe if you show your own style, it may be the next big thing.

***This post was written by my daughter Deija. It's always good to let the younger generation use their voice and to know how they feel. Deija has a blog of her own on book reviews. Check it out.***

Comments

Popular Posts